I love chicken nuggets! Always have, and always will. And it turns out I love these healthier oven baked chicken nuggets even more!
These little buggers are so easy to make, and by choosing to use whole wheat flour, whole wheat panko breadcrumbs, and baking them instead of frying, you end up with a much healthier and still delicious chicken nugget.
The great thing about these is they can just be your new go-to chicken nugget recipe, or also go the route of the “boneless wing”, and toss them in whatever wing sauce you desire. I originally started making these intending on drowning them in plum sauce, but by the time I was done I’d decided to forgo my typical choice and went straight for the bottle of Franks. What a great choice it was!
So, my advice is to get everything set up in bowls before you even cut up the chicken. Preheat the oven, line the baking sheet. Then, begin! Flour mixture, then egg, then panko…
Lay them out on the baking sheet, and make sure to give each piece a little room to breath. It’s hot in there, ya know.
Once they’re done, toss in whatever sauce you like, or use a ramekin if you’re the dipping type.
The cool thing about this type of dish is you can add whatever flavours you like to the flour mixture at the start. Oregano, cumin, paprika…you can take these chicken nuggets to whatever town in flavour country you’d like. I hope you like them! I sure did.
Oven Baked Chicken Nuggets
- 1 Boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- Cooking spray oil
- Preheat oven to 425. Line baking sheet with tin foil and spray with cooking oil.
- Whisk egg in a bowl and set aside. Place panko into a separate bowl and set aside.
- In another separate bowl, mix together the whole wheat flour, garlic powder, cayenne powder, salt & pepper.
- Cut up chicken breast into pieces about 1 square inch or so, and toss around in the flour mixture, making sure the chicken is well covered.
- Shake chicken pieces in a sifter to knock off any excess flour.
- Place chicken into egg mixture, making sure each piece is fully covered.
- Use hands to scoop chicken from the egg, allowing for excess egg to drain off back into the bowl.
- Dredge chicken in panko, fully covering each piece.
- Lay chicken pieces out onto baking sheet
- Bake for about 8-10 per side.